1. Fashionopolis: The Price of Fast Fashion and the Future of Clothes at Go Guru, $33.17, Times
If you’re on the path towards sustainable living, maybe this is where you can start: with a book that highlights the destruction fast fashion leaves in its wake, plus the multiple alternatives companies around the world have adopted to lessen its damage.
2. Iris Apfel: Accidental Icon, $65.91, Open Trolley
There’s so much one can learn from Iris Apfel. A spirited individual who truly transcends time and trends, Apfel’s personality is as original as her boisterous sense of fashion. Get to know her via her musings and anecdotes in this bold, colour-filled book that takes you through an amazing style guru’s life.
3. Bill Cunningham: On the Street: Five Decades of Iconic Photography, $96.55, Amazon
An absolute treat for those into street style, this book contains a collection of Bill Cunningham’s street style images taken before he passed in 2016. Not only visually captivating, the book is also supplemented by essays that provide in-depth understanding of Cunningham’s fascinations and influences.
4. A Stylish Guide to Classic Sewing: Explore 30 Timeless Garments with History, Styling & Tips for Ready-to-Wear, $52.56, Kinokuniya
Besides reading, you can also add sewing to your list of new hobbies. This descriptive guide teaches you how to sew thirty timeless classics, including A-line dresses and pencil skirts. Follow their instructions step by step, and soon you’ll be making your very own clothes!
5. Issues: A History of Photography in Fashion Magazines, $135.24, Book Depository
You’re going to adore this if you’re an avid reader of fashion magazines. In it is a selection of 100 compelling magazine issues handpicked by acclaimed photography critic Vince Aletti, now shared with the world.
6. Marc Jacobs Illustrated, $85.17, Kinokuniya
A fun and colourful read, the book features illustrations of over 50 Marc Jacobs collections in the past 25 years. It’s drawn by none other than Grace Coddington, and includes her own personal picks from all of his designs dating back to 1992.
7. The Eye: How the World’s Most Influential Creative Directors Develop Their Vision, $64, Kinfolk
Ever wanted to know where the top dogs in fashion get their inspiration? Or who moulded them into the people they now are? You’ll find answers to most of your questions in here, a great read that features over 90 of the most influential people in the industry. They each tell stories about their own paths to success and explain how they developed their eye for all things fashion-related.
8. Worn on This Day: The Clothes That Made History, $39.86, Book Depository
From wedding gowns to space suits and everything in-between, the book contains a curated collection of garments and fashion accessories worn each day of the year, documenting who wore what on some of the most monumental occasions across centuries. Behind every feature is also a background story of sorts that’s sure to suck you in.